Common new year resolutions often go something like this, "I want to lose weight," or "I want to exercise more," or "I want to eat better," or "I want to be better off a year from now than I am today."
All great goals, but getting there isn't always easy.
There's a big difference between making a resolution and keeping a resolution.
Making them is pretty straightforward: grab a piece of paper or S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Goals Worksheet (you can find these in your AGS Premium or NutraFit Client Guides - companion manuals to your AGS Health & Wellness Genetic Profile Report), and write down what you want to achieve.
Keeping them is often a different story and why so many resolutions are made over and over again, year after year. If you've made and not kept a resolution, there is nothing wrong with you. Welcome to the club. Life is busy: family, work, friends, travel, commitments, lists and lists of countless obligations.
Besides, change in general isn't always easy.
Over the next several week and months, we will provide a variety of resources to help you become the best you can be in the coming year. We will share tips and strategies to improve your health and wellness. We will focus on the importance of making smarter lifestyles choices that match your goals and personal biology so you can feel, look, and perform better in ALL areas of life.
To start, let's explore 25 Tiny Habit Changes That Will Make You A Different Person In A Year From Now. I recently discovered this blog by Kim Quindlen, Staff Writer for Thought Catalog, and loved the simplicity of her message: little actions lead to simple habits that deliver big results.
Here is my abbreviated version of her list (please read it!):
1. Read at least one book per month.
2. Write down your goals at the start of each week and each month.
3. Measure and track those goals throughout the year.
4. Dedicate just one day a week to eating no meat.
5. Turn your phone on silent before you share a meal with someone.
6. Talk to someone you trust when you’re in pain.
7. Walk whenever you can and wherever you can.
8. Be considerate of and aware of other people.
9. Say ‘yes’ to something that scares you.
10. Write every day in a notebook with no rules.
11. Become cognizant of your emotions.
12. Listen more than you talk.
13. Look at anything other than a screen before you fall asleep.
14. Treat sleep as an absolute necessity and an important priority.
15. Pay attention to the factors you need in which to do good work.
16. Talk to strangers sometimes.
17. When you feel the thrill of a new goal, tell someone about it.
18. Listen to white noise when you need to study, focus, or create.
19. Pay attention to how many pointless things you do.
20. When you choose to relax, don’t half-ass it.
21. Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident.
22. Open your mail right away. Answer what needs to be answered, and throw out anything unnecessary.
23. Tell people you are proud of, thankful for, inspired by, grateful to, here for, honored to know, and comforted by them. Your words matter.
24. Make every decision based on your desire to be a person of integrity.
25. Think about where you were a year ago, five years ago, ten years ago. Think about all the things you are doing now that you wouldn’t have ever believed you could do back then. Then keep waking up every day striving to make the future you once again astounded and proud.
So now what?
The ball is in your court. Take some time to go inward and identify where you are right now, then create a vision in your mind of where you want to be - and more importantly WHO you want to be - by this time next year. Write this down and put it where you can see it daily. Explore your goals. Start taking small steps toward the person you want to become and develop the habits of that amazing person.
You are in control of your life.
We look forward to being a part of your journey!